Nov 9, 2010

The Nokia N8 Challenge: Battery Part One

One of the most important features of a mobilephone is the battery, a user cannot enjoy a device full hand if it has no power no matter how high end or savvy it was, rule of the thumb.

For the past week I have been measuring the power consumption of the Nokia N8, it’s a given fact that phone usage will vary per user’s interest, lifestyle or modes and so I distinguished my test per activity to account it more specifically; normal day to day usage, travel, rest movie day, internet tussle, gaming, discovery and hyperactivity. I have also been using Smart Telecom SIM to the phone since I have a month of unlimited mobile internet connection.

Normal day to day usage, represents my normal routine of phone usage, this includes phone calls of more than 20, SMS of more than 40, internet connection once in awhile to check on my social networking sites, few camera snaps both still images and video, a bit of games, a bit of music when things get bored in the office, sparse SIM signal.

Travel mode was when I travel where I have more than the usual phone calls and SMS to check on the people I left behind, less than the usual internet connection to check on my social networking sites, more than the usual camera still shoots, 80% music player, increase map usage, sparse SIM signal.

Rest Movie Day where I spent 60% of the day watching movies, less phone calls a SMS, internet connection once in awhile to check on my social networking sites, no camera use, sparse network signal.

Internet Tussle day, spent 70% of the day connecting to the web, surfing, blogging, social networking, youtubing and chatting, less phone calls and SMS, a bit of music, no games, no camera use, sparse network signal.

Gaming, spent 70% of the day playing Angry Birds and the rest of the games I downloaded, less phone calls and SMS, a bit of music, no camera use, sparse network signal.

Discovery and Hyperactivity where I spent 80% of the day, taking pictures and videos of just about anything, more phone calls and SMS, less than the usual internet connection to check on my social networking sites, no music player usage, increase map usage, sparse SIM signal.

So here are the results

Normal Day to Day Usage:

Unplug the phone fully charge at around 8:11 AM left for work, received some phone calls, receive SMS, then did my morning check with my personal and news tweets, check email and the blog for comments. By 11:00 AM, still with full battery, received some phone calls, receive SMS and check tweets. Took my lunch break 12:07, still with full battery then went to an WIFI area to connect. I spent at least 40 minutes in the area. 5:00 PM, I was on my way out of the office, one bar down the power meter. When I arrive home, I connected the phone to the laptop to establish an internet connection, which did not connect properly since the phone did not charge. Took the USB connector off and got 2 bars left on the phone by 8:00PM. By 9:00PM with few SMS that arrived and a bit of game and music, the phone dropped to one bar. I was stretching the phones limit at this time but it seemed that it refuse to battery empty. I went to bed at 9:45PM. Woke up the next day 5:47PM with still one bar left and signaled its final breath 6:30AM.


























Travel Mode:

August 4, 2010, I was on the road and hit Cagayan De Oro City. I left the house at around 7:30AM with full battery. As soon as I got on the bus, I started the music player, and then connect to the mobile internet for my daily connectivity needs. I also started Ovi Maps to track my travel, a weird practice. By 9:30, I arrived in Iligan City still with 2 bars down. Took some random still images, and recheck my social networks. I arrived in Cagayan De Oro City at 12:30PM with nonstop music player and Ovi maps, battery level, 2 bars down. I’m done with travelling but I kept the music player on to gauge how far it will go. By 5:00PM I registered by first low bat signal. Took the music player off and activate the power saving mode. I also received some calls and SMS which in turn took its dive to empty power by 07:12PM.

Rest Movie Day:

O7:46AM, started the day with fully loaded battery. I really don’t have the luxury of this day in real life, I just created this day for the sake of testing the Nokia N8. I have prepared more than 6 movies to watch for this day with each movies ranging from 2 hours below. I still have few SMS sent, check twitter, facebook and the blog. 09:40 AM, started my first movie. During the video watching, I had my mobile internet connected to my social networking app and check on them once on a while. 12:24 finish the movie and took my lunch. I also took a quick detour to entertain some visitors. By 01:52, I started my second movie, by this time I still have a full battery, somewhat unbelievable but it’s happening. Then again my connection to the web is still up and running. 03:36, I started my 3rd movie for the day with 2 bars down as a point of reference. The second movie took a chunk on the battery. By 04:46, I was interrupted by a call from my cousin, battery check after the call, another bar down and half way the third movie. I was able to finish it before dinner but forget to check the time, darn! Anyways after a heavy dinner, I started my 4th movie of the day at around 07:01PM with two bars left on the counter, imagine that for a feat! It was totally obnoxious since it was my first time to experience such. 10 minutes before the end of the movie, I got my first low battery signal where the phone activated its power saving mode. 08:37PM the movie finished with one bar left on the phone and barely breathing. With few SMS sent and a grace time period for the phone and to myself, it died down 09:04PM.

























More outrageous battery test on the Part Two, Watch for it!

5 comments:

What's odd is when you connect via USB the phone normally recharges itself even while using the phone as a modem. The good thing is when you're using the internet on your laptop you are also recharging your phone for extra online time.

Did you already notice the Nokia Battery Monitor coming out soon? http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/long-live-your-mobile-battery/2010/10/15/nokia-battery-monitor-blog-post-part-1-2

@Anonymous

I find it rather weird as well, maybe my USB port was defective whatsover, but I'm 100% sure that it wasn't charging that time even though it connect to the mobile internet via Ovi Suite.

@matti m.

Thank you for bringing that up, I have no idea it exists. I'll download it next time I do a battery test.

What's odd is when you connect via USB the phone normally recharges itself even while using the phone as a modem

The good thing is when you're using the internet on your laptop you are also recharging your phone for extra online time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...