Nov 2, 2011

The Nokia N9 Journal: Week Two, The Fathom

If there’s one thing that I enormously uncover these past few days, it would be the potency of Nokia N9’s charm because it had really captured my tech fancy big time. I couldn’t specifically identify the reasons why because the phone is not perfect having found quite a few flaws on it, nor does it have a fancy 12MP camera de Carl Zeiss lens unlike Nokia N8 but everything was remedied by the strength of Nokia N9 as a whole for me to regard it as the Ultimate among the phones I’ve tried.

STOP, LOOK!
On rear view, the phone is exemplary having not met anybody who wasn’t attracted to it. They all have tremendous and unanimous positive reactions to the phone to the point that some wanted to buy it from me but its not possible and I couldn’t help for the moment rather because it’s not sold locally yet but it will definitely be as confirmed by Nokia Philippines and by Smart Telecom who made an announcement earlier that they will offer the phone FREE on Plan 3,500 with a two year contract.


HOLD IT!
The phone even becomes more attractive when you hold it up-close, the thin dimension, the huge screen with deep black display, the curve glass that makes swiping satisfying, the sturdy impression of a uni-body polycarbonate cover among others. It’s a terrific sensation that you can’t figure unless you get to hold it yourself. To hold is to behold as the saying goes.

ROAM AROUND!
Going over the User Interface makes you realized the simplicity of matters, that the best things in life were easy and uncomplicated. The world have witness the rise of Symbian because of its simplicity, then came the iOS being more simpler, and now Harmattan on Meego that powered the Nokia N9, the simplest to date. With the right support, time and confidence from Nokia itself, it can topple iOS and Android in the span of 5 years as iOS did to Symbian way back 2005. Simplicity is the key.

CONTACTS
As mentioned earlier, the phone is not perfect but can be improve as the operating system matures, for instance, on the very basic, Contacts app, the current set up was that when you’re on the contacts page, the search button was located on top of the screen which is not logical because the button grid was spacious enough to accommodate the tab. The current location of the search tab is uncomfortable being difficult to reach.


WHERE'S SWYPE?
I’ve already mentioned this on my other posts, SWYPE should be ported to Meego being incredibly easy to use than the current virtual QWERTY. It wouldn’t be that difficult to port since Nokia has been using SWYPE on Symbian for quite sometime now.


LISTS AND PLAY
Playlist creation on the Music Player, why in the world did Nokia not include this on N9, it’s their strongest music feature on Symbian. Well, they have provided a menu for playlist but its illogical that they miss to add the option to create own playlist. The Favourite playlists wont suffice being non editable as to the arrangement of the songs, all you can do is shuffle and I hate unpredictability on my songs arrangements.











MANAGE FILES
File Manager, Nokia doesn’t want you to play nifty with your N9 files because they intended not to provide a window for such.

BLOGGERS PHONE
This is one of the best features that I love and on Nokia N9, the phones ability to open a heavy websites like Blogger.com and with ease, write and edit my blog posts from the phones browser. I made mention before in one of my blog posts about Nokia N8 being less blogger friendly because you can’t use the phone to write blog using the web browser, well, it’s been address now with the Nokia N9’s browser. I hope this could be replicated on the upcoming Symbian Belle. For the time being, I don’t need my laptop to write a blog post for the day.

TRUE MULTITASKING
With the Nokia N9, you can open as many applications or websites you want and jump on them easily in the applications panel. I'm fun of surfing using my phone, visiting at least 5 websites each time, on my Nokia N8, its clunky possible with in-between freezes every now and then but with Nokia N9, its graceful and fast, just swipe left to open the Applications panel then jump to another open web window, swipe left again and so on, its that easy! No long press needed.


My overall one week experience was unparalleled, its was the first time that I get to use a phone whose is truly beautiful inside and out. As what I've mention earlier, it only needs a little faith from Nokia for the Operating System to work out competitively and succeed. It wasn't a burning platform as Stephen Elop described it to be, it was chick hot. Stay tuned for my unique full review.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...