Oct 4, 2008

Mobile Goggle Maps and GPS

One of the feature of the omnipotent Nokia N82 is the GPS or the Geographical Positioning System which in my opinion one of the standout in the device. GPS is a satellite-based navigation system made up of a network of 24 satellites placed into orbit by the U.S. Department of Defense. GPS works in any weather conditions, anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day. There are no subscription fees or setup charges of its used.

I find this application very useful since I'm a self confess travel freak c", and the possibilities of being lost is inevitable, with combination of GPS with Mobile Goggle Earth, this feature becomes a powerful and informative tool on a mobile device, a perfect combination. In the Philippines, maps of Goggle Earth is limited only to major cities like Metro Manila, Cebu, Cagayan De Oro, Zamboanga City among others at least and Nokia Maps has nothing to brag about.

Here are some of the Screenshots of my location using GPS tracker and Goggle Earth, unfortunately, Ozamis City is not bless to have detailed map as shown here, it can only be maximize on a city level or town level unlike with Zamboanga City map, image on the right, where I was able to maximize the map up to street level. The silver circle in the middle of the Ozamis Map is my location while buying grocery in Gaisano Citimall. While I still have to try navigating Zamboanga City on my next visit.


I have a good time using them, peeping on my phone while walking or riding a jeepney or motorcycle to know where I am and which way I went to. I even used it during my flight form Manila to Cagayan De Oro and had fun time watching which way the plane passes, knowing the islands I am crossing that moment, etc. You should try it yourself, just dont let the flight stewardes caught you because its forbideen. Mobile phones are suppose to be turned off during the flights. Just put the phone in a Flight Mode to prevent interference from the planes communications equipments. Anyways GPS doesn't used cellular network signals so your not inteferring anything.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...