Dec 2, 2009

Travel and Places Wednesday! Ukay-Ukay

Ladies and Gentlemen, People around the Globe, Presenting.. one of the most popular shopping hub that can be found anywhere in the Philippines, the Ukay-Ukay where you can shop for second hand clothes, linens, underwares, shoes, bags, etc. to your hearts desire at a bargain price, yes you heard it right, Bargain as in super CHEAP price and not only that, if your lucky enough, you get to buy branded clothes with the likes of Guess, Polo, Adidas, Fila etc., 90% less than the original price, incredible right?

I accompanied my Mom and Sister last Saturday on there shopping spree, they where looking for clothes to give as gifts this Christmas. Its a good idea actually specially if you have lots of people to dole out with, just make sure that the hand down clothes your giving is in good condition, bit better in my opinion than giving nothing at all. I even brought a Polo shirt for myself, it still looks a bit brand new and guess how much I paid for it, PhP100 or $3 after a bit of persuading coupled with charm.

You need to shop wisely here, first and foremost, you must know when will the stocks be arriving and the day there opening it, in this way, sellers have not segregate the branded and nice looking ones yet to the unbranded, once they segregated this items, the branded ones will be price higher than the rest. Another benefit also of knowing the opening of stocks day is to have the first hand preferential, most of the sellers tend to hide branded and nice looking clothes for there regular and preferred customers. Its also advisable to build a good rapport to this sellers so they will consider you as preferred thus being able to enjoy the best items.

So, you might be asking why we have this kind of business here and wonder where this items comes from? As far as I know, this clothes were suppose to be relief goods coming from rich countries and are suppose to be given to the less fortunates, but unscrupulous businessmen were able to find ways to import it and sell them cheap. This set up have been in existence for decades now and have already became part of our way of life. I even knew somebody who consider shopping in ukay-ukay a pastime.

I remember the Cellphone Ukay Ukay scheme in Zamboanga City, its an interesting topic to cover, I guess I will blog about that next time. Oh well, this will be all for now, need to wash my Ukay-Ukay Polo shirt so I can wear it tomorrow. Hah! Have a great day all! ;)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...