Oct 20, 2011

Nokia N9 Journal: Day 1, The Culture Shock

11:40 Hours, +8 GMT, October 15, 2011

It was lunch break at school when I decided to call DHL Ozamis to check if my package had arrive, I’ve been expecting it since Thursday after I received an email confirmation that Nokia N9 was on the way. To my utmost luck, it was indeed within reach and so without a blink, I hurriedly went to the DHL office to pick it up.

I then head back to school and join my classmates in the canteen to eat lunch. When I arrive, they were asking me why I was rushing to leave and then notice the package I was holding and started asking about it. I told them it was a trial device and the flood of questions followed that lead me to open the package to answer all there questions. I then took the Nokia N9 out of the box and the culture shock begun, first on my part, because the phone was very stunning, it was like, is this a phone or heaven, kidding aside ;) but really, it looks so hot with the all black screen against a blue background and the floating screen impression was outstanding. It was also remarkably thin compared to Nokia N8 that I was using that time.
Culture shock number #2, my classmates reactions, they were like who the hell was this handsome guy really and why he has that gorgeous phone. ;D Okay my classmates have no idea about my blog and my tech hobby so it was kinda shocking for them. I then pass the phone for everyone and gauge their reaction to it. Elated, yes, ecstatic, maybe but most were restless to ask information’s about the phone as to where they can buy, the price, the features and everything. I told them that it’s not yet available in the country at the moment and that Smart Telecom is yet to offer the phone for PhP3,500 per month on unlimited data plan. Hysteria continued for a while until we head back to the classroom to take our final exam in two subjects.


19:30 Hours, +8 GMT, October 15, 2011

Got home late from a long brain draining day but very thrilled because I can finally start playing with the phone. I didn’t have the time to turn it on earlier because my classmates were asking a lot of questions.

Unlike before that I’m all prepared to use my upcoming trial phones by reading their manual in advance, I wasn’t able to do so with Nokia N9 because I was so busy studying for my upcoming final exams. This lead me to another surprise (Culture Shock #3), the phone uses a microSIM! I would have drop by Globe Telecom to get myself one for my Postpaid line if I knew about it earlier. I have no choice but to use the phone without one.

I also took the quick guide out of the box because I have no idea how to turn it on with no power button signs anywhere. FYI, it was located on the right side below the volume keys which also serves as the lock and unlock key.
Culture Shock #4, the welcome screen has animated effects!! The circle breathing lights, the blinking Nokia Logo, and the wave graphics in the end, etc, a very much welcome addition to Nokia’s interface. The screen display was beautiful, the black is very deep creating an illuminating effect to the colored icons. Its the outcome of ClearBlack Display technology of Nokia on top of AMOLED that I have not fully appreciate before not until now that it complements well to N9’s screen design.

Culture Shock #5, the pleasurable swiping, I call it the ultimate swiping experience giving users a cozy feeling of wanting to do it over and over again. Scientifically calculated I would say and very much studied.

Culture Shock #6, the fluidity and simplicity of the User Interface, it’s very, very easy to navigate, no ifs and buts. It wasn’t like other existing OS that you need to press lots of buttons just to navigate around.

20:30 Hours, +8 GMT, October 15, 2011

I started setting the phone to my desired format. Being very different from Symbian, I was a bit disoriented on the process. Setting the date and time was very cool with the circle dialer, while the rest of the needed information can easily be figured. Then as what I normally do with new phones, I went directly to software updates to check if I’m using the latest one but I couldn’t find the app that will check it, what the phone has was only for application updates. The phone also doesn’t have a theme feature, only wallpapers, but this doesn't matter though, the black background of the phone does all the magic. You can set up everything easily like eMail accounts, RSS feed, Twitter, Facebook among others. Live feeds of the accounts set will come out on the Events view.











The phone was never short of animations as it can be found all over the interface like the swiping in between view panels, opening of apps, inactivating apps among others. I do suggest adding more though to make it very lively when use.

22:30 Hours, +8 GMT, October 15, 2011

Sent my very first tweet from the phone announcing to the world that I got a hand on the coolest smartphone in the world. The twitter app uses the virtual keypad of the phone making it my very first try. Well, all I can say is that I miss the SWYPE of my Nokia N8. But don’t get me wrong here, N9 has a good virtual keypad for messaging, it’s just that SWYPE is better. Text input has also a predictive text with the ability to add words on the phones dictionary with just one click, much better actually compared to the proprietor virtual keypad of Symbian. The buttons were finely space but I still get miss clicks.

23:00 Hours, +8 GMT, October 15, 2011

Hit bed early for a much needed rest because I went to bed 3AM the other night. More of the Nokia N9 journal coming up disclosing everything about the phone. If you have questions or violent reactions, feel free to comment.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...