Sep 29, 2010

Music Avenue: Linkin Park, A Thousand Suns

It’s been a while that I have not featured music articles on the blog. Well, I guess nothing is worth featuring not until I bumped into the latest album of Linkin Park labeled A Thousand Suns. I’ve been a big fan of the band since their very first album back in 2000 but I lost track of them lately not until I they came out in the MTV Video Awards and performed their latest single “The Catalyst” from their fourth studio album. Tha album was supposed to be release last year but for any good reason (it has to be!), they delayed it for another year.

It was a concept album dealing with nuclear warfare and themes of war in general. The album's title comes from the Hindu Sanskrit text Bhagavad Gita: "If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one", a quote made famous by J. Robert Oppenheimer in reference to the atom bomb.

The album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, selling 241,000 copies and peaked #1 in Canada selling 23,000 copies. The album also debuted at number 2 in the UK with sales of 46,711.

Of all the songs on the track list, the Wretches and Kings came out the best of them all. It has a catchy head twitching tune that could jumpstart anybodies mode when heard. I would say I miss this kind cool snazzy vibe from the band ever since the Hybrid Theory tracks back in 2000. I’m glad that there back on track.

I also like the Blackout track, another hyper active song with eccentric grouching but it’s what I miss most in any Linkin Park song. The Catalyst was okay, it’s more of a message driven song than a mode swinger and if you want to listen to the very first Linkin Park song that talks about Love then that would be “The Messenger”. It would have been great if they release the Wretches and Kings first, it would have been a rocking first impression.
Overall, the album redefines the band building a unique style without losing originality. This very much separates them from the current band on existence and I applaud them more for doing so. Unlike other bands that have to change course becoming popsicles rather than solid rockies just to keep current, Linkin Park remained true to itself in a better and bolder way. I give it a 4 ½ stars.

Grab your copy now and rooock on!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...