Apr 2, 2010

Good Friday!!

Good Friday, also called Holy Friday, Great Friday or Black Friday, is the Friday preceding Easter Sunday. It commemorates the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Golgotha.

Based on the scriptural details of the Sanhedrin Trial of Jesus, and scientific analysis, the Crucifixion of Jesus was most probably on a Friday, but see the articles on Crucifixion of Jesus and Chronology of Jesus for discussions on the exact date of Good Friday, which in recent years has been estimated as AD 33, by two different groups of scientists, and originally as AD 34 by Isaac Newton via the differences between the Judean and Julian calendars and the crescent of the moon.

This are just few on the important information about Good Friday, thanks to Wikipedia.

Anyways back to my unique holy week experience. My Good Friday started drowsy that day, never have a good night sleep since we have a vigil to immortalize the agony of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane. I have only a short and uncomfortable nap at the church chair and then woke me up 4 am early morning to prepare for the long walk procession to perpetuate the crucifixion of Christ. The catch was, instead of Christ bringing the cross to every Stations, each disciples will carry the cross from one station to another thus making me experience how to carry a heavy and long cross on a rocky velvet road and it was the most unforgettable and the best experience I have that day.

The fact that I was able to relieve Christ's experience, it gives me a feeling of self discovery, upliftment and spiritual maturity that I never felt before. It somehow cleanses my soul and gives me inspiration to do something better for myself and to other people. That very time, I thought I was carrying other peoples burdens and sins and my own and every step I made alleviates this to forgiveness just like what Christ did when he carry the Cross. It was something like a sacred act, heroic and divine and everyone should be given a chance to experience this once in their life. Truly amazing.

I could somehow site devotee's who nail themselves to the cross and those who flagellates their bodies with whips. It might have brought them spiritual experience by doing so, the experience that I went through that same day when I was carrying the Cross, so lets not be judgemental on them. Their doing it for a reason and whatever might that be, lets respect it, good or bad because its their own prerogative.

I might not be participating any reinactment ever again but I'm very proud and happy that I had and it brough a lot of chances to my life spiritualy and emotionaly. Good Friday Folks!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...