Apr 1, 2010

Maundy Thursday!!

And so its another Maundy Thursday in the Christian World, the blog's second, let us again contemplate and look back on this very important event in history.

Maundy Thursday, also known as Holy Thursday, is a feast or holy day falling on Thursday's before Easter that celebrates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ with the Apostles. On this day four events are commemorated: the washing of the Disciples' Feet by Jesus Christ, the institution of the Mystery of the Holy Eucharist at the Last Supper, the agony of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, and the betrayal of Christ by Judas Iscariot.

And Filipinos have our way in commemorating this, through stage plays and theatrical acts in churches with the priest and worshipers acting up the events that happen on this very day in Jerusalem, decades ago. The washing of the feet will be in acted out, the last supper, to the point of having a real feast by dawn among others. I was even cast as one of the disciples before and played the part of Pedro.

The washing of the feet is the most unforgettable experience I have during the day's play since it was something that never happen to me before in the past as far as I can remember, except when I was young of course, and that a priest, a man that guides my spiritual well being did it, somehow brought a different feeling, somewhat exhilarating, inspiriting, uplifting at the same time the feeling of compassion for Christ who did this out of love to His disciples and followers, its indescribable, very surreal.

The agony in the Garden of Gethsemane was also a very inspiriting experience, being awake in the middle of the night and praying silently with people around, its very moving and I have never prayed that solemn before and never had after that. That's how powerful the experience brought me that night.

The last supper was somewhat like a get together after the prayer so its not that real, and I eat to much that night destroying my fasting, none the less.

Anyways, I hope you will have a silent and solemn Maundy Thursday and more of the best Holy Week experience I have tomorrow. Good Friday. Chao!!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...